Finally, a common and wide-spread "theory" is based on freedom. In 1993, the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) published Five Freedoms:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Animal rights vs animal welfare comparison from http://www.animalsuffering.com/resources/images/Animal-Rights-vs-Animal-Welfare/, originally from Animal Rights Fund newsletter:
LinksFarm animal welfare council FAWC
Companion animal welfare council CAWC